The project has included two categories of procurement:
- Local procurement for PIU operations, based on the rules and procedures of Liberia’s Public Procurement and Concessions Commission (PPCC);
- International procurement for the major goods, works, and services for the project, based on the rules and procedures of the KfW Development Bank, as agreed between the Mt. Coffee funders.
All Procurement Notices have been uploaded to this site when tendering processes were launched. Tendering concluded in early 2017.
Procurement of Major Goods, Works and Services
Procurement for the Mt. Coffee Rehabilitation Project was based mostly on a Design-Tender-Build approach. Contracts were generally based on FIDIC contract conditions and international competitive bidding processes. The Project was implemented under the five major contract areas outlined below.
- Owner’s Engineer — Single contract including project planning and investigations, and detailed design; preparation of tender documents and procurement management through to award of contract; construction supervision and quality insurance, including oversight of design, manufacturing, commissioning, and taking over; and oversight during Defects Liability Period.
- Contract #1 – Single contract for the supply and installation of four turbine/generator units (each with a capacity of 22 MW) and associated power transformers, generator breakers and auxiliary equipment including supply and installation of the powerhouse crane.
- Contract #2 – Suite of contracts covering civil and mechanical rehabilitation of the powerhouse, intake structure, dam, spillway, tailrace and Mount Coffee substation foundations, structures and site improvements, mechanical gates, hoists and ancillary plant; access road reconstruction and maintenance (formerly contract #3); reservoir clearing and other improvements; existing and new accommodation at Mount Coffee, including site services and site facilities; and construction of a new Emergency Spillway. Tendered in five separate contract packages:
- C2A: Main Civil Works [including access roads]
- C2B: Hydraulic Steelworks and Auxiliary Systems
- Early Civil Enabling Works
- C5: Camp Construction and Services
- C6: Emergency Spillway (weir and 220-meter concrete bridge).
- Contract #4 – Suite of contracts covering supply and erection of two ~25 km, 66 kV transmission lines from Mount Coffee to Bushrod Island and Paynesville substations in Monrovia, a new substation at Mount Coffee, and upgrades at the Bushrod Island and Paynesville substations to accommodate the new transmission lines. Tendered in two separate contract packages:
- 4A: substations
- 4B: transmission lines.
- Operation, Maintenance and Training (OMT) Contract — Single contract including the training of the LEC professional staff for the operation and maintenance of the Mt. Coffee plant, and provision of operation and maintenance services until training is completed.
Procurement Notices are available through the link at right for all past tenders. Announcement of contract awards are also available through the link at right.